Here is the icing I used on the German’s Chocolate cake; although I will be looking for a different cake recipe, I think this icing is excellent.
- 4 egg yolks
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 7 oz. coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in a large saucepan until well blended
- Add sugar and butter
- Cook on medium heat for 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat
- Stir in coconut and nuts
- Cool to spreading consistency and use
I found it takes time for the temperature of the icing to come down and let the icing set enough to spread as a frosting.