Once you have made the croissant dough, you need to use it. In this article, I will explain how to cut and form croissants. You will get 6 croissants from a packet of the dough. Although the directions are for a single packet of dough, you can make the second packet and use the same cooking sheet and egg wash. There is a time interval after forming the croissants to allow the dough to rise before you bake the croissants
- 1 package of croissant dough
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. water
- At this point, the dough has rested in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or even over night; it is ready to be rolled out into a rectangle and then cut into triangles.Unwrap the packet of dough, place it on a lightly floured rolling surface and deflate it by tapping it several times gently with the rolling pin. Cover the dough with plastic and let it rest 10 minutes to relax the gluten.
- Prepare the baking sheet. Use either silicon mats, or lightly butter it.
- Roll out the packet of dough into a rectangle that is 15 inches by 5 inches. Cut the rectangle into 3 squares of 5 inches by 5 inches.
- Cut a square into two triangles by cutting diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner.
- With the larger side of the triangle as the base, roll out the triangle only away from the base until it is about 7 inches tall
- Roll the triangle up starting at the base
- Place the rolled up croissant on the baking sheet with the ends turned slightly in toward the middle, and such that the rolled up point of the triangle is between the turned in ends and against the baking pan.
When all of the croissants are formed, cover the baking pan loosely with plastic and let the dough have a final rise. This should be about 1 hour. The dough should almost double in size and feel light and springy.
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
Just before baking, paint the croissants with the egg wash made by beating the egg and water in a small bowl.
Bake the pan of croissants on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until nicely puffed and brown.
Cool the croissants on an rack for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Croissants are best when freshly baked.