This is an easy to throw together casserole that has a wonderful taste. I like the olives in the casserole; they bring an earthiness to the dish. Mostly, you will be opening cans and draining the content in making this casserole. It all comes together in a very short time. There is a close-up photo of the plate down below,in which most of the ingredients can be identified.
The recipe comes from long ago, before inflation reduced the size of most cans of food. So while the ingredients are given in nominal size, you will probably find the 16 oz cans are now just over 15 ounces, and the 4 ounce can is more like 3.8. I think you just need to go with the flow- I did. It was interesting that I had all the ingredients in the pantry except for the onion. Where the ingredients call for a dash of a spice, I used about 1/8 teaspoon, but I think you could easily use more- perhaps 1/4 teaspoon.
Three Bean & Rice Casserole
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (16 oz.) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz.) garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies (ortegas), drained
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- dash cayenne
- dash hot sauce (Tabasco)
- dash cumin powder
- dash black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz. frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- In a 5 quart heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven (treated with cooking spray or 1 Tablespoon olive oil), over medium-high heat, saute the onion and garlic until tender.
- Add the water, all the beans, tomatoes, chilies, rice, cayenne, hot sauce, cumin, black pepper and salt. Heat to boiling, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peas, and both types of olives. Stir and replace the lid. Turn off the heat and let stand for about 20 minutes
This recipe can be separated into smaller casseroles, and refrigerated for storage.
The original recipe shows this as making 8 servings of less than 300 calories each, with about 5 grams of fat each.